Video FAQ:

Should the incoming board hire an engineer to perform a comprehensive inspection of the property?

The incoming board should definitely hire an engineer to conduct at least some measure of inspection of the property when the homeowners take over. That inspection should start with a relatively cursory inspection to see if there is any issues that merit further investigation, so, when there are those issues, then they should be fully investigated right at the turnover point when the contractor and subcontractors are still around and can be brought back in to correct the problems.